Then again, I made mine over two evenings, with a massive fail in the meringue department which wouldn’t have gone down so well on the popular tv show…
It is pretty easy in the scheme of things 🙂
I made a swiss roll:
90g self raising flour.
Whisk eggs and sugar until thick and pale. Sift in flour and gently fold until combined. Pour into a lined/buttered tin. Mine was about 35×25, it doesnt matter if yours is a bit bigger or smaller. Bake at 200c for 10-15min until springy to touch. Set aside to cool.
Once the sponge is cool you can use it to line a bowl (pre lined with cling film). I cut a circle for the bottom, a bigger one for the top and lay horizontal strips around the edges.
Traditionally, its just sponge on the bottom, but I like cake and figured it would be extra insulation when it comes to putting the whole thing in the oven – eek!!
Fill this with icecream/s of your choice and anything else really. I used strawberry ice cream and some cherries. 1L should do it.
Cover with clingfilm and pop it back in the freezer. Mine ended up overnight.
Then the meringue.
My moral of the story: buy a sugar thermometer! Or don’t make italian meringue I suppose.
I didn’t have one. I’ve got by without one so far. I’ve made fudge, marshmallows, …
I figured Italian meringue would work fine, I googled how to tell when sugar reaches different temperatures without a thermometer and found this excellent chart.
I used Mary Berry’s recipe for the Italian Meringue recipe.
It was all going fine, the egg whites in stiff peaks, the sugar boiled to ‘soft ball’ stage, I was pouring it slowly in, whisking away.
Then it started to deflate.
There was no way it was going to thicken again, if I had poured it on the Alaska it would have just poured off again. But unlike Ian, I’m not one to chuck things in the bin. Ever. So I poured it into a baking tray and popped it in the oven for a couple of hours at a low temperature.
It became the strangest thing I have ever baked.
I should have taken a photo! The top crisped, covering a gooey marshmallow middle – lovely, except it literally glued your teeth together – but there was a third layer! A layer of weird clear eggy jelly. My little sisters didn’t care and ate most of it in one serving! They did leave the jelly part though.
The next day I bought a sugar thermometer. I presume the sugar wasn’t hot enough and thats what went wrong because this time it came out perfect! I actually got it up to 121c, instead of Mary’s 115c, as I had seen that temperature in lots of other recipes and wanted to be sure it worked!
I piped it onto the Alaska, and then started to run out! It looked like so much! So I kind of spread the sides down to cover it all… Then I put the whole thing in the oven at gas mark 9, yelled at all my family to sit at the table, threw plates at them, forks followed and whisked the Baked Alaska out after just 5 mins. I was so worried it was going to be a melted mess! Hence the lack of photos.
Turned out it was still a giant icecube!
So I popped it back in for another few, maybe 3mins, so it actually had a crisp layer. It was still pretty hard. And to think this had been the part I worried about the most!
It was very good 🙂